We are social animals!
For the full interview: http://globeoflove.com/careers/use-your-community-with-helpfulpeeps
Human beings are social animals and in order to function properly, we need to communicate, share, and help each other. Saf Nazeer, the founder of Helpfulpeeps, fully understands the importance of a strong community, and has very kindly offered some important tips for anyone who wants to harness the power of their community in order to achieve their goals, further their career, or start their own venture:
1. Getting involved in the community is the best thing for an ambitious person who wants to start their own business. According to Saf, meeting and talking to people can open up so many doors. So start with your own community! Start with people you know and admire. Then build your own network, because social support is a factor that hugely contributes to success.
2. Don’t be afraid to ask people for advice. The best advice Saf offers is a quote by the famous entrepreneur Gary Vaynerchuk: “Look yourself in the mirror and ask yourself, what do I want to do every day for the rest of my life… Do that!”. It takes a lot of courage to leave your routine, quit your job and change your old goals in order to achieve your dreams. But you must try!
3. Don’t be scared if you don’t know what you want to do. It takes time for your dreams and ambitions to form fully. You may not be sure of what you want to do in your twenties so try not to worry about that. Prioritise finding success on your own terms. Your idea of success will change over time and that’s completely normal. Saf speaks of a friend he knows who had a great career as a doctor but quit and now she’s a yoga teacher – the happiest yoga teacher he can imagine. In other words, society can’t tell you who’s successful and who’s not, or what constitutes success. That has to come from you!
4. Find a supportive network. The best way to harness the power of your community is to surround yourself with people that support you in anything you choose to do and allow you to take risks. Because starting your own business, just like starting any new endeavour, is a risk. It involves a lot of commuting, a lot of planning, not enough vacation days and sometimes less time for family and friends. In our interview with Saf, he talked of the ‘Entrepreneur’s Dilemma’, where you have to choose three out of the following five: work, sleep, family, fitness or friends.
5. Be aware. Saf also emphasises that finances are a huge factor and sometimes you might need a few years time to save up and then make the jump to working for yourself. He highlights the importance of being self-aware of what you are willing to sacrifice. One of Saf’s favourite quotes by the great businessman Elon Musk is: “If something is important enough, you should try, even if the probable outcome is failure.”
But try! “Dream big, start small. But most of all… START”, Saf quotes the inspiring author Simon Sinek. Working for yourself is a privilege. Why? Because you learn one important thing as an individual: there’s nowhere to hide and no one to blame. Everything depends on you!
And of course, working for yourself means working towards your dreams and supporting the society that’s given you so much power, like Saf and his vision to create a global network of users helping each other every day. Go and harness the energy out there, and don’t forget to sign up to this incredible network and start harnessing the power of YOUR community!